Saturday, January 21, 2012

Navigating Cultures

I am second generation Portuguese and all of my family came to the US from the Azores (a series of small islands off the coast of Portugal) We often sponsored other families, so they could come to live in the United States, in the days when that was still possible.

Early on, I noticed that my Dad possessed great sensitivity and he seemed to always be on the look out for folks who needed a hand getting started in life. As a kid I remember my family helping, Azorian, Costa Rican, and Korean families and I have fond memories of Dad bringing home: stranded travelers (lost newlyweds who camped in our backyard), a deaf gentleman (who he gave a job to) and a long series of stray people and dogs. (which my mother always took in stride) My childhood was so much richer because of those experiences.

As a kid I learned to navigate cultures...Our Portuguese traditions, heritage,language and religious practices were often in tension with those of American culture. But somehow as time went on, I learned to navigate, (to cross back and forth in and out of the various cultures that surrounded me) I had no idea what an important life skill that would be and I certainly had no idea how much my father had shaped me and taught me to notice, welcome, love and even become a champion for those whom society often casts aside.

It is easy to play it safe and interact with people who look and think just like us. You know people with the same backgrounds, education, socioeconomic status...They go to our gym, our country club and they know the right people...It's not risky and those relationships may get us somewhere right?


How often do we reach out to people who don't look like us, those who think a bit differently than we do on important issues, those who don't have our socioeconomic and educational advantages? Do we  realize how much they have to teach us, how much they have to offer. There is a richness and depth to these types of relationships that is discovered in no other way. But to cross cultures takes humility, we must strive to become life long learners and listeners. We must plead our ignorance and ask our new friends to patiently educate us.When we show up, when we notice, when we listen, when we risk, God shows us amazing things, about others, about ourselves , and about His vision for the kingdom of God.

2 comments:

  1. you do great things lisa we are very proud of you you go girl guess you know who this is love

    ReplyDelete